PLEASE NOTE: This Firmware needs to be performed ONLY if you have locked yourself out of your tablet (forgotten password, etc). Your tablet is pre-installed with OTA Firmware capability (Over The Air). OTA Updating provides an update via our servers that streams the process of updating a Custom ROM. As long as you are connected to a WiFi network and have over 50% battery, you can receive the updates wirelessly. To check if updates are available, on your tablet go to Settings then select Software Update then select Update: check for Updates. If there is an update available, the tablet will walk you through the process. If you update your tablet using the process below, you are overwriting the ROM with the same ROM the unit came with. There is no need to do this unless you have locked yourself out of the tablet (forgotten password, etc).
IMPORTANT! Please make sure that you backup your files to a computer before you update your tablet's firmware. All content will be deleted. You can re-download your purchased and/or free apps from the Amazon Appstore (or other appstores) once the firmware update is completed. Make sure the tablet has at least 40% power before trying to perform the firmware update, otherwise you can damage the files and/or your tablet.
READ ME: This step must be performed on a computer. Trying to download this file on your tablet will result in an unsuccessful firmware download as the file cannot be unzipped on our Polaroid tablets. Please read through the instructions before proceeding. We recommend printing these instructions so you can refer to them while performing the firmware upgrade. At this time please close all running programs on your computer which are not related to this upgrade.
YOU WILL NEED: A micro SD card. Be sure to back up any information that is on the MicroSD card to your computer as it will need to be formatted and all content on the card will be erased. Make sure the MicroSD card is formatted and there is no information on it. When you are finished performing the firmware update, you must delete the update files on the MicroSD card then copy all of your previously saved content back to the MicroSD card.
- On your computer, please log on to www.southerntelecom.com/polaroidsupport/firmware
- Select "PTAB8000_Firmware_SD_OTAv2_download link".
- Then select "Save As" (we recommend saving it to your computer's desktop where you can easily find it when needed). Once the file has finished downloading, you must unzip the file.
Note: you will need to have a zip program such as 7-Zip, WinZip or WinRAR to unzip the files. Download 7-zip Here
- Go to your computer's desktop (or wherever you saved the file to) and extract the file "PTAB8000_Firmware_SD_OTAv2.zip"
- Double-click the folder "PTAB8000_Firmware_SD_OTAv2.zip". There will be four files in the folder as shown below:
- Copy and Paste the 4 files onto a formatted MicroSD card.
- Make sure your tablet has at least 40% battery power, then power OFF the tablet.
- Insert the MicroSD card into the tablet.
- With the tablet powered OFF, press and HOLD the [VOLUME -] button (do not release [VOLUME -] until told to do so). While holding the [VOLUME -]button down, press and HOLD the [POWER] button (do not release the two buttons until told to do so)
- When the tablet screen shows the following message "Upgrading…Please don't power off", then release the 2 buttons.
- The tablet will begin the upgrading process, then power itself ON when finished.
- Your PTAB8000 tablet has now been upgraded to PTAB8000_Firmware_SD_OTAv2.